Name of Limited Liability Partnership
- The name of a limited liability partnership shall end with the words “Perkongsian Liabiliti Terhad” or the abbreviation “PLT”.
- Except with the consent of the Minister, a limited liability partnership shall not be registered under a name that in the opinion of the Registrar is-
- identical to an existing body corporate or business;
- identical to a name that is being reserved under this Act or the companies Act 2016; or
- a name of a kind that the Minister has directed the Registrar not to accept for registration.
- Please choose the right names, thereafter please contact us for further advice.
What is a Name Search?
A Name Search is performed by Yau & Co. using SSM MyLLP System as an initial step to ensure that your desired LLP name is available. Please note, this is only a preliminary Name Search. Final approval of the name is granted by SSM upon review of Name Reservation Form.
How long does a Name Search take?
Yau & Co. can notify you the availability of your desired names within 24 hours (one business day). Please bear in mind that a name search conducted before the set up documents are submitted is considered preliminary. The final determination of business name availability rests with SSM.
What if the desired LLP name contain words prohibited by Minister?
You could apply to the Minister, stating the reasons or justifications for using such names or words as part of the proposed name by the LLP.
The reply to the application for the consent normally takes some time. Therefore if the proposed LLP needs to be registered urgently, it would be advisable for the LLP to be set-up under another approved name first, and subsequently, an application for the Minister's consent be obtained and thereafter effect the change of name of the LLP upon receiving the order.
What is a name reservation?
Submission of Name Reservation Form to SSM for LLP name approval and reservation. Filing a name reservation will prevent another LLP from forming with that name.
How long can my business name be reserved?
An approved name by SSM can be reserved for 30 days. During the thirty days period for which the proposed name is reserved, SSM will not allow the use of the reserved name by any other person
The applicant may apply for an extension of name reservation with filling fee of RM30 per 30 days.
Why Name Search Result Shows the Proposed Name is available but Name Reservation still rejected by SSM?
Name Search result from SSM Online system is not exhaustive. There were cases where name search result shows there is no one using the name. However, Name Reservation Form was rejected by SSM due to proposed name been used by another businesses. All name search applications are subject to the final decision from SSM.
What are the common reasons that the proposed name application will be rejected by SSM?
- Proposed name is similar to those existing ones and may cause confusion to the public (unless a consent letter is granted).
- Proposed name is similar to the former name of existing businesses and may create undesirable confusion to the Public members.
- Proposed name is prohibited by the Companies Act 2016 or any other relevant Acts.
- Proposed name is undesired for use as LLP name, for example, Ekor Ayam PLT.
Are there Reasons for a Delay in Name Reservation?
SSM may randomly carry out a due diligence exercise, which may delay the name approval process. In addition, the business activity could be subject to control and regulation by other government authorities and hence need approval beforehand.
Why is Name Reservation Form, which has been submitted with consent letter, still being queried by Companies Commission of Malaysia?
SSM may raise query on the submitted Name Reservation Form due to the consent letter is not complete and/or did not comply with the regulations.